IGN released what it thinks are the Top 10 problems that the MMORPG industry needs to address. This is a good read for both publishers, developers and for the players too.
Maybe those in the industry can get good ideas so that we’ll come out with better games in the future.m Allow me to summarize them after the break…
TOP 10 Problems with MMORPGs
- Elves – too much of them. No orginality anymore
- Humans – Griefers, scammers, hackers. They make the world a living hell for honest players
- Perverts - What more can I say? This is totally disgusting.
- No Consequences – Epic dragons, boss monsters, impossible quests. The game world still maintains status quo. And yeah, thousands of others have done the same thing or even better.
- No Story – a lot of games are “cookie cutter” builds. No originality in stories whatsoever.
- The Grind – MMO games are designed to slow you down. It’s simple math, 3 is higher than 2. There’s always something better and players will strive to get the best.
- PC Focus – C’mon, when are we going to see epic console titles?
- Too Little Roleplaying – it IS an RPG. Yet people chat like they’re in Facebook or YM
- Death – iRL death folks. From too much playing. Beware! Watch what you eat and watch your health
- Stats - most people are obsessed with finding short-cuts to make these the end-all and be-all of their gaming.
Part of my job is to look out for interesting games that we may purchase and release locally. I’m glad I read this short article. Now I have a simple checklist of things to look out for.
Hope this also helps you guys as a player.
For the full article at IGN click here