Just came back last night from Jakarta with the Philippine Team (Naked Babies), RO Brand Manager and Group A Marketing Head, Roy Inciong and Level Up! General Manager Jake San Diego.
We got the 3rd place after defeating Taiwan. 2009 defending champion, Japan (who also defeated us last year in the 2009 RWC Finals in Yokohama) won 2-1 in our semi-finals match to get the honor to face RO PVP “legends” Thailand for the all the marbles. Thailand took the crown after defeating Japan 3 to 1.
Congrats to Team PH members; Brian Kenneth Victa, Precious Anne Branal, Trixian Joy Barroquiña, Nick Lanozo, Leonard Jasper Santos, Franchesca Fajardo and Gabriel Antonio Mendoza. They get the trophy and USD $3,000 in cash prize. They come back to Manila as heroes!
Here’s a short recap of our day-to-day activities as well as some important links if you missed my blog and Facebook updates…
- Sept. 30, 2010 (Thursday) - Arrived in Jakarta around lunch time via PAL. We were the first team to arrive. Met with the organizers (LYTO… thanks to Joshua, our guide and coordinator) and got our tournament kit. We stroll around and sample some local cuisine
- Oct. 1, 2010 (Friday) - Early morning we went to Cafe Batavia, one of the oldest buildings and cafe in Jakarta and then visited the museum nearby. Lunch was with the Brazil Team and then it was back to the hotel for the Welcome Dinner and Match Pairings. I drew the random number and got ourselves a round 1 match vs. Brazil. The strong teams, Korea, Japan and Thailand were far from our bracket.
- Oct 2, 2010 (Saturday) – Day 1 of the matches and opening day of the actual event. RWC 2010 was just above our hotel. First match of the day was PH vs. Brazil. We managed to squeeze through that 2-1. Next up was with with France at 2:45. We won that, 2-0. Now it was just Japan that blocked our way to the Finals. We won the first game but they came back from behind to defeat Team Philippines 2-1. Check out my detailed blog post and match summaries here
- Oct 3. 2010 (Sunday) – We battle Taiwan (who were defeated by Thailand) for 3rd place. We win against them and get 3rd place. Thailand and Japan had an epic match. Thailand prevailed 3-1 for their best-of-series to take home the RWC 2010 Crown. This is their 4th title, if I’m not mistaken. Congrats to Team Thailand
- Oct 4, 2010 (Monday) – After swimming in the pool and saying goodbye to new friends, Team PH and the Level Up delegation left for Manila via Philippine Airlines at 1:30pm.
Goodbye Jakarta! It was a great event, a great experience. I certainly enjoyed the local food and the warm, helpful smiles of the Indonesians. I’d also like to commend LYTO, the publishers of RO in Jakarta and Gravity for a nice event and for being great hosts.
RWC is a yearly tradition that I always look forward to. For the Philippine team, they not only won 3rd but they also won the hearts and admiration of their peers and new-found friends. I’m certain they will remember this experience for years to come.
Perhaps this year wasn’t really meant for our country to capture the RWC crown. But we’re returning to Manila with new ideas, new strategies and an even stronger desire to finally capture the title in the soonest time possible. Of course, I can’t do that without the support of the RO community, who’ve been great in giving much needed boosts via their comments on Facebook, etc. while we were away. Maraming Salamat po!